Vegan chili ‘cheese’ fries🍟🧀
Follow republicofvegan for daily vegan inspiration 🌱💚
Crispy fries, bean chili and a cashew based ‘cheese’ sauce on top! Tag someone 👇 you’d love to share some of these with!
Recipe by veganbymanda
For the chili sauce
(Makes 2 servings)
230g black beans (already boiled/packaged ones)
400g crushed tomatoes
1/2 small yellow onion (20g)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika powder
1/3 tsp sambal olek
1/2 tsp salt (taste if you might want to add more)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1. Cut the onion and fry in the olive oil until soft and golden. Add the black beans, crushed tomatoes and spices.
2. Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes (until the sauce has thickened and the water is reduced).
3. Set aside while making the cheese sauce and fries.
For the ‘cheese’ sauce
(makes 4 servings)
113 g potatoes
41 g carrot
40 g yellow onion
60 g raw cashews
208 g (1.5 cup) broth from the boiled vegetables 1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1⁄4 tsp turmeric powder
1⁄2 tsp onion powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Start with peeling the carrots and potatoes. Remove the skin from the onion. Heat up some water on the stove and boil the vegetables together until soft. Save 1.5 cup of the boiled wa- ter (you will need this for the cheese sauce).
2. In a separate saucepan – boil the raw cashews for 15 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion and cashews in a high-speed blender.
4. Add the spices, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and vegetable broth (the water saved from boiling the vegetables) to the blender and mix until smooth.
For the fries
(Makes 2 servings)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Cut the potatoes in strips.
3. Bake in the middle of the oven on a baking tray for 20 minutes (drizzle some rapeseed oil and salt on the strips before baking them).